Community Workshop on Economic Development and Survey
City of Camarillo to Host
Special Community Workshop on Economic Development
All Camarillo residents and members of the local business community are invited to attend a special workshop to discuss Camarillo’s economic future. The meeting is the first step in the City’s preparation of a new Economic Development Strategic Plan. The meeting date, time and location are:
October 10, 2017
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Camarillo Library Community Meeting Room
4101 Las Posas Road
The workshop will be an opportunity for community members to provide input about the types of new development and businesses they may like to see in Camarillo in the coming years.
In addition to the workshop, residents and business stakeholders may provide input to the process through a brief online survey, which will be available here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CamarilloEconomicDevelopmentSurvey during the month of October.
What is an Economic Development Strategic Plan?
The City of Camarillo’s Economic Development Strategic Plan will provide a “road map” for attracting business investment, creating jobs, and ensuring the City’s long-term fiscal health. The Plan will identify growing, high-wage industries that could be the focus of future business retention/expansion/attraction efforts. The Plan will also consider closely-related issues such as infrastructure, land use, housing and workforce development.
The City has retained The Natelson Dale Group, Inc. (TNDG) – an economic development consulting firm with experience throughout the United States – to lead the strategic planning process. During the planning process, TNDG will:
• Provide background research about Camarillo’s current economic conditions to enable community stakeholders to make decisions based on accurate, up-to-date information;
• Identify growing, high-wage industries that Camarillo could potentially target for future expansion or attraction;
• Complete a real estate market analysis to quantify potential development demand for new retail/restaurant, office, industrial and hotel facilities (taking into consideration the City’s fairly limited supply of developable land);
• Assess a range of “foundational issues” affecting Camarillo’s capacity for future economic development (including infrastructure, workforce, housing, quality of life, development environment);
• Prepare a strategic Action Plan based on the consultants’ research and local stakeholder input. The Action Plan will provide a detailed “road map” for pursuing quality economic growth in Camarillo.
Key issues that will be evaluated during the course of the planning process include:
Core industries/labor demand:
• Industry growth/retraction trends
• Workforce requirements and the degree to which they match local supply
• Relation to Ventura County and regional trends
• Targeted industries of competing communities in the region
• Current skill levels and other pertinent characteristics of the local labor pool
• Commute patterns and relationship to region
• Overall demographic shifts affecting workforce development
• Appropriate comparisons to State and regional benchmarks
• Barriers to attracting technical workforce
• Real estate (land/building capacity to support new commercial/industrial development)
• Infrastructure (transportation, telecommunications, utilities, etc.)
• Workforce training and placement programs/service providers
• Public (K-12) and higher education
• Public/nonprofit economic development organizations
• Funding/resource levels for economic development programs
• Community aesthetics and other quality of life issues
• City/County regulatory and permitting environment
While the consultants’ research will provide an important “snapshot” of current conditions, the most important outcome of the process will be the preparation of an Action Plan that defines implementable strategies to achieve Camarillo’s economic goals.
View the official news release